Monday 31 August 2015

AZEEZAT: GRACEFUL QUEEN OF LOVE

For Nigerian music enthusiasts of the 90s, the name Azeezat will always ring a bell.

With her show-stopping hairstyles, sonorous voice and energetic stage performances, Azeezat Niniola Allen wormed her way into the heart of many Nigerians.  Now nicknamed the ‘Queen of Love’, contemporary soul singer Azeezat is back with a new single titled ‘My Valentine’ – and with a classy video to show for it. Throughout the holidays, the petite lady was breathing the studio air and now has this love song ready.


“My Valentine is a love song.  It is a song of dedication. It is a song full of sincere promises to a true love. Actually, I released it as part of my first album 'Simply Magnificent'. As Valentine’s Day was approaching, I decided to remix it; and that’s how I visualise it.  Every time you feel like renewing your vows, you will always bring it out, for generations! It’s a timeless song”, she explains.

The track which was produced by Seyi Allen and Jiggy Jeggs, mixed and mastered by Dan Jiggy had its video directed by award-winning video director, Emeka Obefe.  It is already enjoying rave reviews on the internet.

 From such songs as Lonely World, Hold On, Keregbe, Lorawagbo, Ife and Love Without Language, the Moshood Abiola Polytechnic (MAPOLY), Abeokuta Mass Communication graduate has aptly earned herself the appellation ‘Queen of Love’. “People know me with love songs. I didn't realise it myself until people started pointing it out. And that was how I got the title 'Queen of Love'. It’s actually ‘Queen of Love songs’. But it has been shortened to ‘Queen of Love’.  It made me realise that I love love, and I love singing about love”, she says.

The fact that Azeezat is back in business is no doubt.  She is not just back on the scene; she is now a decision-maker in the music industry.  How?  Well, every Nigerian musician wants to be paid their dues – and that isn’t just in recognition but fiscally.  Hence, she has joined the helm of affairs at the Copyright Society of Nigeria (COSON) and the only female EXCO member. So, female artistes finally have a voice and hope in getting their dues, we wonder.  “There's no discrimination at COSON. Everyone who has royalties with us is being paid. It’s true that the bulk of calls I get are from women, and I understand that it is because I'm a woman and I do everything I can to resolve their issues”, she explains.

In the area of tourism and culture, she has also been promoting Tarkwa Bay (the place she has made her home) as a great tourist destination in Nigeria.  This she did through her ‘Weekend with Azeezat’ concept.  Here, fun lovers were treated to musical performances from Azeezat as well as night life by the water and fresh food.


However, the initiative in now rested.  Why, we ask.  Smiling, she says:  “For every venture in life, you must take a step back and re-strategize.  So we are re-strategizing.  I also know the driving force of ‘Weekend with Azeezat’ is my career. So I need to take a break to get my career on the right footing; then we will start again”.

Born to the family of Alhaji and Alhaja Olatunji Salu in the mid 70's, Azeezat is a lover of music, poetry, love stories and cartoons. At a tender age, the Ogun State-born lady discovered music as her first love and began the journey of fulfilling her desires. By age 13, she had begun writing songs and participating in singing competitions. After her tertiary education, she took a shot at radio and TV presentation and production – she worked at Ogun State Broadcasting Service (OGBC) –  but soon returned to her first love; music.

She was spotted in a talent show by Seyi Allen, who she eventually married in 2002.   For 11 years, commitment is what has kept Azeezat and Seyi going.  To them, commitment is important.  Azeezat is of the opinion that love is essential but isn’t enough. “It is the mindset that there is no way out. There is no window out of marriage; it is that strong unbreakable wall. It portends that no matter how great the problem in marriage, you are not ever thinking of opting out. Because you are not thinking of opting out, it will mean that you are always trying to find solution. It is very essential. And communication between the couple is also important, there is also character and personality. The reason commitment is very important is because if one of the couple is doing something that is not that suitable to the other, commitment will make the other party compromise. That would be because you are committed to lasting longer”.
Raised as a Muslim, Azeezat showed her commitment to her spouse by making a compromise. 

“Before I met my husband I don’t think I had stepped into the four walls of the church.  But I did after we married”.

 She was nominated at the MNET organized “Where you at” Awards as Best Up-coming Female Act and Best Female Act in 2000 alongside icon Onyeka Onwenu.


No comments:

Post a Comment

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS: NIGERIA’S TOBI AMUSAN SETS WORLD RECORD TWICE

  The duo produced jaw-breaking performances on the final day of action at the World Championships BY TUNDE ELUDINI      Nigeria’s Tob...