Tuesday 23 June 2015

AYETORO - WHY I LEFT LAW FOR MUSIC

 Funsho Ogundipe (a.k.a Ayetoro) is one name that rings bells in the mind of many for one, two or all of the following reasons: Law, Banking and Entertainment. In this exclusive and quick interview with Splendid Magazine, he spoke on his love for music and the Afro-Beat genre in particular.

You were known to be a law graduate. Why did you leave law for music?
I actually left law for Banking and specifically corporate finance from where I moved to music. Why do you change jobs or professions? I think it was when I realised what my mission was. 


With this move, you must have encountered strong resistance from parents and family.

I wouldn't call it resistance. It was more of concern given our society and the perception then of the musician as praise singer and possible vagrant.

Why the sudden dislike for law? Or were you forced to study law?
I still love law.I just love music enough to practice it as a profession  It was good I studied it as a discipline. You the the early men were multidisciplinary. Pythogoras was both a mathematician and the inventor of the musical scale. Law medicine music architecture can all be undertaken by the same person. 


Of all music why did you go for Afro-beat?
Fela kuti was a convincing spokesman for the new music called Afro-beat. Also my first love was jazz and Afro-beat with its use of jazzy chords and complex time signatures was challenging enough for me to want to play it. It had the most articulate spokesmen in form of Fela and his first son Femi that it was obvious it was the most intellectually challenging music in town.


Do you consider yourself a fulfilled person?

I'm happy. Doing what I love even while paying the price for that. 


Besides music, what else do you do?
I act. Direct short videos and do a little farming. 


What is your life philosophy?
Life should be explored.


What would you do differently if the opportunity arises again?
Nothing. Really I can't say. 


Who is your most admired personality and why?
In the modern world I find Miles Davis to be an incredible avatar of musical change who influences us musicians even from his grave. In the world of antiquity I respect Orunmila the sage of the Yorubas for his calmness and wisdom. 


Your unforgettable day?
The days my children were born will forever be etched in my memory. Parenthood is a blessing. 


What is your preferred delicacy. Why?
Pounded yam and Ofe Nsala. There are no why's where love is concerned. 


What is your most treasured possession?
I came here with nothing so I try not to hang on to anything. 


In another five years, where do you see your brand?
Time will tell. We live for today and all we want is to place the music and the idea of Ayetoro at the service of our people.

1 comment:

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS: NIGERIA’S TOBI AMUSAN SETS WORLD RECORD TWICE

  The duo produced jaw-breaking performances on the final day of action at the World Championships BY TUNDE ELUDINI      Nigeria’s Tob...